AppsAfrica has opened entries for the 2018 AppsAfrica Innovation Awards slated to hold on 12 November in Cape Town, South Africa. Now in its fourth year, the annual awards are open to startups and corporate entities that have launched services in at least one market in Africa through mobile and tech innovation on the continent.
In addition to gaining global publicity and industry recognition, AppsAfrica will provide an opportunity for participants to network with about 300 industry peers. This year’s winners will be invited to Africa Tech Summit Kigali 2019 which will hold on 13 to 15 February next year.
Entries for this year’s awards will be charged at $125 per category. However, startups that are less than 18 months old will be exempted from the charge, a condition subject to approval. A discounted code will be provided by AppsAfrica after approval.
To enter the awards applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants can be start-ups or incorporated companies
- Applications will be accepted from companies that have launched a product or service in at least one African market
- If the service has not been launched at the time of judging it will be omitted
- The product or service must address specific African needs as detailed within the specific category
- The applicant’s innovation can be any product or service utilising any technology
- Applicants must have launched the entry in at least one African market to date
- Applications must be specific and relevant to the category entered
- The applications are judged by an independent panel of judges whose decisions are final
The 2018 AppsAfrica awards are in 12 categories:
Disruptive innovation award, health tech award, best Africa app award, enterprise solution award, news and entertainment award, fintech award, agritech award, social impact award, IoT award, mCommerce award, changing Africa award and mobility award.
How to apply
To put in for the AppsAfrica innovation awards you can apply through the website. Please note that applications will close on Friday, 7 September 2018, with finalists set to be announced on 8 October.