Aflatoxin Challenge 2018 for Researchers: Win $15,000 in Seed Funding
The Partnership for Aflatoxin Control in Africa (PACA) is now receiving applications for the Aflatoxin Challenge 2018 from researchers in Africa. The Aflatoxin-Control challenge aims to stimulate the development of innovative ways to reduce or eradicate exposure to aflatoxin-contaminated foods and feeds in Africa.
Aflatoxin, a family of toxins produced by certain fungi found on some Agric crops like peanuts, tree nuts, has been getting more attention in recent years because of the health risks and the barrier they pose to International market development. This is a cause for concern as the European Union will by 2020, impose new and stricter aflatoxin regulations which will affect the future for the export of African crops.
Aflatoxins have a high stability and therefore are a problem during harvest, storage, transport, processing and other steps along the value chain. Aflatoxins Challenge 2018 therefore, aims to minimise both the health and economic risks of aflatoxins by creating innovative evidence-based technologies to reduce its exposure.
- Seed fund of $15,000
- Opportunity to attend the PACA Partnership Platform meeting in Dakar, Senegal in October, 2018
- Open to researchers and students living in Africa
- Applications must be written in English or French with the following sections:
- Summary of the research (maximum of 200 words)
- Background and motivation (maximum of 400 words)
- Specific aims (maximum of 400 words)
- Methods with proposed activities (maximum of 400 words)
- Novelty and potential application if successful (maximum of 400 words)
- Ideas must be in the food (Identifying solutions to eliminate or reduce exposure to aflatoxins from foods and feeds) OR Non-food category (finding alternative Non-food solutions to keep aflatoxins contaminated foods and feeds out of the food system)
How to Apply
Applications for the Aflatoxin Challenge 2018 are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and deadline for submission is Friday, August 24, 2018.