Become a UN Young Champion of the Earth 2019 ($24,000 + Trip to UN Meeting)
The United Nations (UN) is inviting nominations for its 2019 Young Champions of the Earth – the organisation’s most prestigious prize for brave environmental entrepreneurs aged between 18 and 30 with a big idea for the world’s future.
Young Champions of the Earth is a forward-looking prize designed to breathe life into the ambitions of brilliant young environmentalists. If you have a bright vision for the future of our planet, apply now to become a Young Champion of the Earth!
In 2019, seven Young Champions of the Earth will be selected from each global region: one from each of Africa, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, North America, West Asia, and two from Asia and the Pacific.
Successful applicants would be required to travel internationally to attend the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony, an entrepreneurship boot camp and educational tours. Also, winners would receive seed funding, intensive training, and tailored mentor-ship to bring their big environmental ideas to life.
- Each winner will receive the following;
- US$15,000 in seed funding;
- US$ 9,000 in funding to communicate and capture your idea and broadcast the stories of hope and change that you’re catalysing on the ground.
- Attendance at a high-level UN meeting;
- An introduction to dignitaries at the Champions of the Earth Award Ceremony;
- Publicity and recognition through interviews and online and global media;
- Access to a community of Covestro experts offering insights and mentoring; and
- Participation in an entrepreneurial training program.
The 2019 Young Champions will be required to share their journeys through blogs and vlogs posted on this website for a period of up to one year.
- The UN is looking for artists, scientists, economists, communicators and entrepreneurs from all walks of life with big, bold ideas— for the environment, for humanity, for a greener future.
- Must have at least 6 months’ experience working on a big idea to protect or restore the environment and will be aged between 18 and 30 on 31st December 2019
- In the first stage of the selection process, all applications will be judged by United Nations experts according to the following criteria;
- The positive impact your big idea could have on the environment (planet) and society (people), and its financial viability (prosperity).
- The 3 Cs – Evidence that you are a curious, courageous, and colourful individual.
- Demonstrated commitment – It is important that you have already attempted to implement your big idea for at least 6 months and can cite results to date.
- Endorsement – The strength of your referee’s recommendation.
Interested applicant should apply online on or before midnight GMT on Sunday, March 31st 2019.