The Africa Food Prize Opens 2019 Applications for $100,000 Award
Africa Food Prize is an event that celebrates Africans who are taking control of the continent’s agriculture agenda and changing the reality of farming in from a struggle to
survive to a business that thrives.
It puts a bright spotlight on bold initiatives and technological innovations that can be replicated across the continent. The Africa Food Prize recognises extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans.
Building on the values and principles established by the Yara Prize, the Africa Food Prize puts a bright spotlight on achievements and innovations that can be replicated across the continent to eliminate hunger and poverty and provide a vital new source of employment and income.
- Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established institutions, associations, organisations or government bodies with a formal and recognised judicial and organisational structure contributing to the overall objectives of the prize.
- The prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work, and contributions deriving from the work, has had a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for the continent.
- Can be awarded reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results in the recent past, preferably within the last few years.
- Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an institution/organisation headed by such a member, are ineligible for the prize.
- Cannot be awarded to a person already deceased but will be presented in the event a prize winner dies before receiving the Prize.
- The prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two. If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money ($100 000 divided in two), a diploma and a trophy.
Method of Selection
- The Africa Food Prize Secretariat assists the Africa Food Prize Committee to screen and select candidates from the pool of applicants.
- Prize winners are chosen by the Committee through a unanimous vote.
- The Committee has absolute authority and its decisions cannot be overruled or appealed.
The application process starts with nominations being sent to the Africa Food Prize Secretariat on or before Monday, May 13, 2019. Nominations must contain the information requested in the Nomination Guide.
Never miss an important story during the week. Subscribe to smepeaks weekly newsletter now.