Led by DCA Academy, the Miss.Africa 2019 Initiative is offering a seed funding to African women and girls in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields, to advance value creation, facilitate and broaden their own initiatives as well as increase job opportunities and leadership roles in the digital space.
The program is being launched to identify certain current trends, events and activities which support females playing in the STEM field. As such, Miss.Africa 2019 is designed to place a keen attention on discovering how to advance impact and scalability.
- The first category of $5,000 seed grant will help the winning initiative to facilitate and expand their capacity
- Two other applicants from emerging African countries creating socio-economic value for women by leveraging tech will receive a second category grant of $1,000
Interest applicants for Miss.Africa 2019 STEM grants must:
- Be resident in an African country
- Submit an English-written application
- Be at least 18 years of age if applying as an individual, a representative of an NGO, or social enterprise based in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate experience in conducting activities supporting girls and women in computer science or STEM fields
- Have a good commitment to developing and contributing to virtual community to advance women and girls initiatives
- Have demonstrated potential in leadership (those applying for leadership fund will be required to provide references)
- Have a proposed project with tangible impact on girls and women in STEM and computer science fields
Projects targeting under-served population and locations, taking the approach of collaboration, and having potential for increased growth while leveraging technology will be given preference.
Eligible projects for Miss.Africa 2019 funding include, but are not limited to:
- Girl’s hackathons and coding boot camp
- Training programs for programming and app development
- Early female tech entrepreneurs incubation
- Women and girls workshop and training in computer science
How to apply
Interested applicants should fill the online form, or send Expression of Interest (EOI) to eoi(at)dotconnectafrica.org. Deadline is on Sunday, July 2, 2019.