A call for youth ambassadors to win $500 in the UNCCD Land Heroes Challenge 2020
UNCCD Land Heroes Challenge 2020 is a campaign born out of the passion for youth’s efforts in the climate change movement around the world. The focus is centred around land’s importance in connection to climate change.
The recognition of Land degradation as a driver of climate change, and how it worsens desertification, and other climate change issues has made UNCCD identify Good land stewardships critical role in achieving international commitments for climate, biodiversity and sustainable development.
UNCCD Land Heroes Challenge 2020 for the youth Ambassadors is expected to run through a social media campaign that will trend under #UNCCDLandHeroes and #FoodFeedFibre. Participants are expected to submit a short text with a photo or video where they propose a specific solution to limit the footprint that our production and consumption of food, feed and fibre leave on the land.
- The campaign is open to youth between 15-30 years old worldwide. (Proof of age could be requested for on the day of the challenge).
- Participants are to send a video or text accompanying a photo using the social media tags, the post should be in one of the six official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish)
- Participants can send in their entries in other languages but accompanied by the translation in one of the official UN languages listed above
- By entering the contest, you are automatically considered a UNCCD Land Hero.
- You can participate more than once during the contest period
- Current and former staff, consultants, and interns of the United Nations, including first degree relatives of the aforementioned individuals, can participate but are not eligible to receive the monetary prize
- Competition submissions must not include any endorsements of products or services, or any obscene, violent, racist, religious intolerance or defamatory content
- Submissions may also not be accepted into the contest if the image in the entry features an identifiable individual who has not given their consent to appear or if the image, advertising or trademarks which would otherwise require the UNCCD to obtain permission to use
- A $500 cash price will be awarded to one of participating UNCCD Land Heroes for an outstanding project with significant outreach capacity, to invest in the impactful and scalable action to be implemented by the end of 2021
- The winner will be selected by the UNCCD secretariat, and the project widely promoted on social media and shared with UNCCD Land Ambassadors for them to support through their channels
- The winning project will also be showcased at UNCCD major events, such as Desertification and Drought Day global observance event
March 25, 2020: Launch of the contest
May 15, 2020: Deadline to send submissions
17 June 2020: Announcement of the winner and promotion of the project
How to apply
Interested participants for the UNCCD Land Heroes Challenge 2020 should follow the Application Rules to apply as the deadline to be considered to win the cash prize at 23:59 Bonn time (GMT +2) come Friday, May 15, 2020.
Got a story worth telling? Shoot us an email with SUBJECT — “Story Worth Telling” — to [email protected].