SEED Awards 2019 for Innovative Enterprises in Asia and Africa, Apply Now
Applications are now open for SEED Award 2019. Startups that are innovative, locally driven, and eco-inclusive are invited to apply. Enterprises making significant contributions to include climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, aim to replicate business activities in another region or country are also advised to apply.
The SEED Low Carbon Awards are sponsored by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) while the SEED Africa Awards and SEED South Africa Awards are sponsored by the Government of Flanders.
This year, up to 66 prize packages will be awarded to locally-driven and early-stage enterprises, which leverage their innovative business solutions to solve social and environmental challenges across Africa and Asia.
Awards and Categories
SEED Low-Carbon Awards (Ghana, India, Indonesia, South Africa, Thailand, Uganda)
- 6 Winners receive 1-year SEED Accelerator support & €10,000 grant each
- 24 Finalists receive 6 months SEED Catalyser support & €1,500 grant each
SEED Africa Awards (Malawi, Zambia & Zimbabwe)
- 5 Winners receive: 1-year SEED Accelerator support & €20,000 grant each
- 20 Finalists receive 6 months SEED Catalyser support &
- Top 5 Finalists will also receive €5,000 grant each
SEED South Africa Awards (South Africa)
- 3 Winners receive 1-year SEED Accelerator support & €10,000 grant each
- 8 Finalists receive 6 months SEED Catalyser support & €1,500 grant each
- The SEED Accelerator: provides startups with a one-year support package that includes tailored needs assessment, capacity-building workshops, and one-on-one expert advice. Startups will develop the investment readiness and operational excellence of their established conclusive enterprise in order to effectively scale-up their business.
- The SEED Catalyser: provides startups with 6 months of tailored support package combining peer-learning and guided expert advice. The programme will guide enterprises to refine their business model in order to optimise environmental, social and economic impacts and improve investment readiness as they scale-up.
In addition, SEED Award Winners and Finalists will also receive the following:
- Grants: SEED will provide non-reimbursable grant funding for up to 50% of the total investment for the selected enterprises. The funding varies across award categories.
- Replication Support: For enterprises ready and willing to replicate their business activities in another region or country a dedicated replication support package will prepare you in getting ready for the next steps of replication.
- Tools: Self-help tools that enable enterprises to prioritise and address their most urgent needs, for example conducting market analysis, developing a funding strategy, mapping stakeholder relationships and measuring impact.
- Profiling: SEED Winners and Finalists are profiled nationally and regionally through a high-level Awards Ceremony as well as internationally through SEED marketing and promotional activities such as our website, blog, social media and on-ground events.
- Network Building: SEED facilitates connections with valuable contacts to support organisations, such as funders, policy-makers, SEED Alumni, other SMEs, as well as SEED Partners and Associates.
- Startups that are eligible to apply for the SEED Awards 2019 must;
- Demonstrates entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Delivers economic, social and environmental benefits;
- Have the intention and potential to become financially sustainable;
- Be a partnership between different stakeholder groups;
- Be locally driven or locally led;
- Have a potential for scale-up;
- Have a potential for significant replication;
- Be in the early stages of implementation; and meets the country-specific requirements set out above.
Interested startups that meet up the eligibility criteria should apply online on or before Tuesday, April 2, 2019.
Never miss an important story during the week. Subscribe to smepeaks weekly newsletter now.